I have written that turmoil is the best time to make change, and accept change. Yes, we’re in the crapper, but it’s way better to focus on what’s the opportunity, your opportunity, that this downturn presents? There’s a big question you need to ask yourself. Is now the best time to climb a few steps?
To help you answer that question, here are some “take inventory” questions you must ask yourself to gain a realistic view of who you are, where you are, and what you have achieved:
- What have you done?
- What are your achievements?
- What is your strength of character?
- What is your reputation?
- Do you have a web presence?
- What are your career skills?
- What are your personal skills?
- What are your strengths?
- What expertise have you gained?
- Are you using your abilities and expertise to their full potential?
- What is your passion?
- What have you always wanted to do?
- What is your present financial condition?
- What are your financial obligations?
- What is your tolerance for risk?
- On a 100 step ladder, which rung are you on?
- How high can you climb in your present position?
- How high do you want to climb?
- What’s the gap?
- How much do you love where you are?
- Are you and your efforts appreciated?
- How much do you love what you do?
These are tough questions. And I recommend that as you read them, and think about them, that you take 30 minutes out of your life and write down the answers. Writing leads to clarity, and allows you to think of the questions individually rather than as a group. These answers will lead you to YOUR answers.